Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Day 14 - The Jackson Family

As you know my family is spread all over the country, my Mom in Florida, my Sister in California with my Dad and I holding down the Northern front (for now at least). This seems to be a theme for our family though. My Mom was born and raised in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, my Dad in Walnut Grove, Minnesota. While my Dad does not have any Brothers or Sisters, my Mom has 6. My Mom's siblings are spread all over the Eastern half of the country. Because of the separation of the family and the shear size - I have 28+ cousins, ranging from over 40 years old to as young as 8 - we do not get together all that often. We have only ever had one real family reunion - since I was born at least - it was a surprise party for my Grandma's 80th birthday (it might have been 75th, oh well you probably don't care that much...). It was huge success with everybody in the family showing up! The only other time that we had that many family members show up was for my Grandma's funeral several years later.

My Mom's oldest Brother Ron lives in Massachusetts and makes a couple trips a year back to Wisconsin for different events. This past August he decided to try to organize a small gathering of family at my Aunt Vicki and Uncle Roger's house in Eau Claire. I was able to get some time off work (thanks again Sherri!) to attend and represent my portion of the Jackson family. Considering we got together on a weekday afternoon I was impressed we managed to have 20 people show up. It was a good time, I was able to see people that I see about once a year and some that I see maybe every other year. Of course I brought my camera with so here are some more of the dreaded people pictures (I am kidding of course, I actually kind of like taking them now).

This was only second time I had seen my Second Cousin Jennalyn. Not only did she like posing for pictures she really like playing with my camera. The minute I started taking pictures of her she reached out and tried to grab my camera from me.


My Cousin Matt playing with a bubble machine designed for kids 3-7 years old . . . it was actually kind of fun.Uncle Ron was also playing with the bubble machine.
The bubble machine in question being used by my Uncle Jim (who did not want his picture taken).Cousin Amanda and Aunt Sherri were not as interested in the bubble machine as they were with the crochet work being done.
Uncle Roger and Cousin Abbi in one of Roger's Kayaks on the Chippewa River
My Cousin Jesse and his son
My Cousin Adam
It was a very good time and I was glad I made the drive over to be there. Maybe we can try to get an actual reunion organized some time soon, just don't put me in charge . . . there are WAY to many people.

No comments: