Friday, November 21, 2008

Day 21 - Gas Prices

I stopped to get gas on the way home last night and I have to got to say I was rather pleased.  Whatever the reason is behind it, I am enjoying gas prices that are now solidly below $2.oo/gallon in the Twin Cities.

The lower prices got me thinking about having purchased my Honda Accord as opposed to an SUV.  While I still love my Accord if gas prices had been $2.00 in May, I almost certainly would have got an SUV.  As I thought about it more I remembered the comparisons I made at the time and decided I am still happy with my choice.  I am getting about 30% better gas mileage with the Accord compared to a Honda Pilot.  My average fuel economy has been 23.626 mpg since getting the car.  While that does not sound great you have to remember I drive on city streets for maybe 70% of my miles.  The best tank I have had was 25.095 mpg with lots of highway miles.

Either way it was nice to fill an almost empty tank last night with 17.029 gallons for $1.779/gallon for a grand total of only $30.29!  I could get used to driving a car for that price.

No comments: