Friday, June 29, 2007

Vaction Project - The Completion

A little over 2 months ago I told you the story of my Vacation Project of painting my bathroom. When we last discussed the project I debating about applying the recommended polyurethane coat.

Well I am on vacation again and had not yet finished the project. Nor I had taken down the masking tape or put the cabinet door back on the vanity. Quite frankly I was getting sick of living with the room taken apart, but also did not really want to paint again. It was either time to get the room in order again or apply the poly coat.

I decided that I should do the poly coat since it was recommended for wet areas, I assume a bathroom qualifies. I went back to Home Depot and bought the poly. At about $18 the poly costs almost as much as the gallon of paint but is only 1 quart. Should be enough though, right? The poly coat went on very well. In the can it is milky white but becomes clear almost as soon as it hits the wall. It is a little hard to see if you miss any spots but after drying for a couple minutes it becomes obvious. As I was doing the last few walls I started noticing that I was running low on poly but figured I would have enough to finish. Of course that did not happen! I ran out of poly - I mean bone dry - with I would guess about 10 square feet of wall space left. I was kinda pissed and had to make the run to Home Depot to get another quart of poly at another $18. I got home and got the coat finished. I was pleased with the results overall. The poly coat seems a little slick to the touch, but does not appear shiny to the eye. I tried to take some pictures of the room with thy polyurethane coat on but they turned out the same as the photos in the last post. It is not exciting but here is the 2nd can of poly that I used to finish the job (the blog is called jdzphotography after all, I need at least 1 picture)
I let the poly dry overnight, it did darken the finish a little but I still like it. I missed a couple small spots along the ceiling that redid and then removed all of the masking tape. It is nice to finally have the bathroom back to normal!

The last thing that I needed to do was to put up the new towel ring that I had gotten. While looking at the ring at Home Depot it appeared to match my light fixture well. Upon further inspection at home I realized that it was close but was not quite what I was looking for. I decided to return the ring and will just use a towel bar on the wall next to the linen closet. The wall space that is left empty will be a good spot for a photo maybe. Here is the towel ring I ended up returning, feel free to use your imagination.

I am VERY glad to have this project done and will vow now to never use Behr Sandwash Texture Paint again. It is just too much work. I like the results but it is just not worth it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmmmm...so you returned the towel ring but chose to leave the picture of where it was to have been mounted in the entry....very interesting...I guess you really have a priority for getting those photos in...I would have liked to have seen a "live action" (self timer) shot of you actually applying the poly!!! (just a kind suggestion from a lowly, non-blog writing reader)

The Father of Five said...

Diddo with the opinion on the sandwash.