Thursday, November 02, 2006

Minneapolis at Night

I was hoping to have some new photos to post here but, I my camera actually died on me this weekend. While it is off being fixed I will post some older photos and the reason they are some of my favorites.

Last Fall I realized that I had lived in my townhouse for over a year and still did not have anything hanging on the walls. I didn't really want to pay for somebody else's artwork or photos so I decided to print some of my own photos. I found a frame at Michaels Crafts that had room for three 5x7 photos that I liked. Now the hard part was finding three photos that I liked. I have somewhere around 7,000 photos saved on my computer that I have taken since April 2003 when I got my first digital camera. Needless to say finding three photos that worked well together and that I wanted to look at everyday was not easy. After looking for pictures for about a week I decided on doing a set of photos with a common theme. The photos I finally decided on were of Minneapolis at Night.

The first picture is of the Minneapolis skyline taken from Lake Calhoun.


The second photo is of the Stone Arch Bridge over the Mississippi river.


The third photo is of the Hennepin Ave Bridge also over the Mississippi.

After ordering the photos online and getting them into the frame I was very excited it had turned out better than I expected! I figured if I like them other people might too. Christmas was not far away and I thought the set would make a nice gift for my Mom & Dad. They both really liked them and both have had them hanging on walls since Christmas.

It turned out to be a good thing I made the set for my Mom. She had my Aunt Vicky over to her house in Florida for dinner one night and Vicky saw the set of photos. Vicky was looking for a birthday present for her son Jason (who recently moved to Minneapolis). I got an e-mail form Vicky within a couple days wanting to buy the photos from me to give to Jason. Only problem was she needed them faster than I could order them online and get them in a frame and to her in Wisconsin. I was excited that I might actually make some money from my hobby for the first time. I wanted to get the photos to Vicky in time for Jason's birthday so I actually gave her the frame that I had hanging on my wall (yeah, it is kind of a used gift I guess). I have heard the Jason liked the photos a lot and now they are the only thing hanging on the walls at his townhouse.

I have not yet replaced the photos on my wall, but have printed some other photos including two additional sets of photos.

2 comments:

The Father of Five said...

Congradulations on your first sale! The pictures look great! Keep em comming..

P.S. Do you have a copywrite on your photos? Maybe you should (wink-wink)

The Father of Five said...

Congradulations on your first sale! The pictures look GREAT - keep 'em coming!

P.S. You may want to put a copywrite on your pictures... (wink-wink!)